web page hit counter
Butler Family: Plastic Surgeon

Butler Family

Monday, April 04, 2005

Plastic Surgeon

We saw the plastic surgeon today. I think we've picked a good one (not that we had much of a choice). He really seems to know his stuff.

However, it's going to be a long hard road for little Emma. She will probably have anywhere from 3-6 surgeries by the time she's 5 years old. I can't believe how long of a process this is!

Her first surgery will be roughly when she's 4-5 months old (or 10 lbs). She's right around 6 lbs now, so we have a ways to go. This surgery will be to fix her lip (or start to fix it). They will also implant a device that will stretch her mouth (sounds painful to me). This means we have to go see a pediatric dentist to make the device. Luckily, the dentist that we need to go to is the same one I was getting ready to take Josh to. I guess I need to make an appointment for both kids now! This guy is on the "cleft team" that will be seeing Emma over the years. I just hope and pray medical insurance will pay for any of his work. I have my doubts. Our dental insurance really stinks, so there may be alot of out of pocket costs there.

We also think Emma may have reflux. I'm going to make her an appointment tomorrow to have that checked. Basically, if she's awake and doesn't have something in her mouth, she's crying. The surgeon doesn't really think she's in pain from the cleft...he suggested reflux (or just plain colicky). He's the 2nd person that's actually suggested reflux. That wasn't the first thing that came to mind because she doesn't spit up all that much.

I did buy her an incline pad today, so maybe that will help her sleep a little better...maybe if she's propped up a little, it will relieve some of her pain. I do keep her on a pillow during hte day (propped up on the arm of the couch) and that does seem to help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home